You won't believe this!! These 2 videos were sent to me RIGHT AFTER I READ "What Does Joyful Learning Look Like!" (Oct. 28 post) Mrs. Megan's blog is all about the little ones who don't look like they are "participating" in class...you know, the children that sit in Mom or Dad's lap and just watch. Parents often ask themselves, "Is my child "getting anything out of the class?'
Well, TAKE A LOOK at these 2 videos. This little fellow literally sits on Mom's lap throughout his whole WeJoySing class. His facial expression is intense and he hardly smiles. He rarely reaches for an instrument when offered. But look what he DOES HOME!! EVERYTHING!!!
I am deeply grateful to this Mommy because here's the proof that there is valuable learning taking place as the child sits and observes the class. Observation is HOW this child learns, processes and internalizes the plethora of information experienced during class.
Research in early childhood development indicates that if the adult "steps in" and tries to manipulate the child or force "participate," the child's learning process is literally interrupt and the child will most often "shut down!" During class, JOYFUL LEARNING can LOOK LIKE OBSERVATION!!
These two videos bless my heart to pieces because:
1. Music continues at HOME! THAT'S what WeJoySing is all about! - repetition in learning;
2. The music "play" was initiated by the children. Mom had to run upstairs to "capture" these magical moments;
3. The little guy was joyfully "DOING" everything - down to the minutest detail - ON HIS OWN!
4. The learning was experienced with someone he values, his sister.
5. Sister is in an older WeJoySing age group, BUT knows all of brother's WeJoySing songs and activities, therefore is able to initiate the play-filled learning!
6. JOYFUL LEARNING at HOME!!
La La's and Hugs!
From a Happy MRS. JO!!